At approximately 9:30 this morning, September 1, people in a sailboat in Eagle Harbor spotted a woman in distress in the water. They attempted to pull her to safety but were unable to. A couple in a large power boat arrived to assist and succeeded in pulling her aboard. They covered the woman, who was seriously injured and hypothermic, in blankets to warm her.
The rescuing parties reported the emergency to the Coast Guard, initially indicating that they were near the Bainbridge Island ferry dock. Coast Guard officials alerted Bainbridge fire and police at 9:48 a.m., and units arrived within minutes at the ferry terminal area and began searching for the power boat.
Several concerned witnesses also called 911.
Further communication clarified that the power boat was actually near the Waterfront Park dock, so emergency responders relocated to Waterfront Park.
Paramedics treated the 54-year-old Wing Point resident and airlifted her to Seattle for further care for life-threatening but treatable injuries. It was determined that she was having a medical emergency. To protect her privacy, no further information is available.
This incident is unrelated to the Eagle Harbor water rescue that occurred last night.
- Eight People and a Dog Rescued from Capsized Boat in Eagle Harbor
- Update on Helicopter Crash in Puget Sound
- Helicopter into the Water off Kingston
- BIFD Emergency Responders Assist Wind Surfer at Agate Pass
- Wenatchee Ferry Delayed After Crew Performs Emergency Water Rescue
- Search Near Bainbridge Coastline for Canoeist Called off
- Coast Guard Searching Water off NE Bainbridge for Possible Missing Canoeist
- Young Teens Rescued off West Bainbridge Were Adrift for 5 Hours in Leaking Boat
- Update: Search Units Rescue Two Stranded People in Waters Off Crystal Springs
- Water Search and Rescue Effort Underway at Crystal Springs & Baker Hill Area
- Capsized Kayakers Rescued from Eagle Harbor
- Deceased Blakely Rock Diver Identified as Bainbridge Island Man
- Recovery Effort Underway of Missing Diver Off Blakely Rock
- Department of Natural Resources Diver Off Bainbridge Island Presumed Dead
- Lost Diver Search Underway Off Bainbridge Island’s South Beach
- U.S. Navy Recovers Presumed Body of Gerald Hall Off Blake Island
- Search for Lost Diver Off Blake Island
Photo courtesy of BIFD.