The grass roots environmental organization Islanders for Responsible Development (IFRD) is holding a community meeting to discuss lessons learned from the year-long process of challenging the Visconsi shopping development. The meeting also will be an opportunity to set future goals for IFRD.
The meeting will be at Bainbridge Public Library, Wednesday, June 18, from 7 to 9 p.m.
- Reviewing accomplishments and failures of challenging the Visconsi commercial development
- Proposing a possible protest or boycott of the new shopping center
- Participating in the upcoming COBI Comprehensive Plan update process
- Proposing Municipal Code changes to implement the Comprehensive Plan
- Creating an Island-wide tree retention ordinance
- Changing the anti-citizen culture in the City Planning Department
- Discussing other commercial developments on Bainbridge Island, such as the Wing Point subdivision
Interested citizens unable to attend the meeting are invited to send their comments for airing that night to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Letter to the Editor: The City Is Betraying Our Community for the Sake of Profit
- Proposed Wing Point Development Criticized for Removal of More of Island’s Tree Cover
- Letter to the Editor: City Trivializes the Word Sustainability
- For 44th Anniversary of Earth Day, COBI Looks Back at a Green Year on Bainbridge
- Hearing Examiner Gives Conditional Go-Ahead to Visconsi Project
- Old Growth Trees and Bainbridge’s New Waterfront Park Design: What’s at Stake
- Visconsi Raises Much Bigger Questions for Bainbridge: Our City Manager & Others Weigh in
- An Unsettling Analysis of the Traffic Future of Highway 305
- Climate Change on Bainbridge: We’re Talking Wyckoff, Visconsi, SMP & Waterfront Park
- One Fool’s Stab at Defining Bainbridge Island’s “Special Nature”
- Visconsi Development Hearings Highlight City’s Lack of Planning Leadership
- Empty Retail Space on BI: It Doesn’t Get Any Lonelier Than This
- A Silk Purse Cannot Be Made from a Sow’s Ear: Two Experts Weigh in on Visconsi
- Letter to the Editor: Proposed Shopping Center Violates City’s Comprehensive Plan
- Google Earth Time-Lapse Images of Deforestation on Bainbridge Island
- Clear Cut Bainbridge Island (with Impunity)
- One of Winslow’s Final Forest Ecosystems Destroyed for Private Development
- Letter to the Editor: Talking the Talk but Not Walking the Walk
Photo courtesy of IFRD.