Here are Inside Bainbridge recommendations for the weekend of February 3-5, 2012:
1. La Femme
When: Friday, February 3, 5-7 p.m.
Where: BPA Gallery
Why: Pamela Dharamsey Lee does really cool stuff, whether in dance, music, performance, or visual art. This time she has frozen clothing—no kidding. Come see her transfixed female archetypal characters and enjoy the opening party.
For info. call 842-8569 or visit www.bainbridgeperformingarts.org.
2. First Fridays Art Walk
When: Friday, February 3, 6 p.m.
Where: Downtown Winslow
Why: It looks like the weather will cooperate. Pick up some food while you take in the art at local galleries.
3. Rock, Paper, Scissors Tournament
When: Friday, February 3, 6:45 p.m.
Where: Ordway Elementary School
- You always knew there was potential for Rock Paper Scissors to become something bigger. Here’s is your chance to take down your archenemy through clever outmaneuvering.
- It’s only $5
- Even if you’re a grownup, there’s a heat for you.
4. Great Decisions: The State of the Oceans
When: Saturday, Febuary 4, 9:30-11:30 a.m.
Where: IslandWood, 4450 Blakely Ave. NE
Why: Enjoy a preview screening of a new documentary: “Ocean Frontiers: The Dawn of a New Era in Ocean Stewardship.” Then discuss amongst yourselves. The film’s producer, Karen Anspacher-Meyer, and James Brennan, Marine Habitat Specialist at the University of Washington, will moderate the discussion.
For more info. visit www.artshum.org or call BIAHC at 842-7901.
5. Block Print Valentine’s Day Cards with Theresa Neinas
When: Saturday, February 4, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Where: Winslow Art Center, 278 Winslow Way East, Suite 205
Why: Be a showoff and make the coolest valentines for all your pals and frenemies.
To register or for more info. call 618-3112. $125.
- Indulge your gambling self and raise money for a local cause, Peacock Family Center, at the same time.
- Get some stuff at the live and silent auction portion.
- Enjoy the open bar and food from local caterers.
- And if you’re not a poker fan, don’t worry. There is blackjack too.
Ticket prices are more at the door; you can preregister at http://bainbridgeholdem2012.eventbrite.com/.
7. Poulsbohemian Poetry Reading
When: Saturday, February 4, 7 p.m.
Where: Poulsbohemian Coffee House
Why: Ronda Broatch, Jeannine Hall Gailey, and Constance Mears share their work. Plus, there’s an open mic.
For more info., call Nancy Rekow at 842-6908.
8. Lucas Field at Treehouse
When: Saturday, February 4, 8 p.m.
Where: Treehouse Cafe
Why: Lucas Field is the former frontman for Low Vs. Diamond. Now he’s got his own solo album and he’s here to share his Soul with you.
9. BHS Tolo Dance
When: Saturday, February 4, 8:30-11:30 p.m.
Where: Bainbridge High School
Why: If you’re in high school, this is your chance to get all gussied up and throw down some moves. If you don’t know this already, don’t drink and then get behind a wheel.
Images courtesy of Pamela Dharamsey Lee, Ocean Frontiers, Theresa Neinas, and Peacock Family Center. Video courtesy of Lucas Field.